Become a Fan on FaceBook!

Mommy Vomitpants on Facebook

November 4, 2009

Pass It On



As a mother, I think about the things that I am "passing on" to my daughter. I see every day the personality traits she gets from her father and I wonder what I can offer her. You know, aside from the whole "giving her life" thing.

When I was a kid, my mother was always crocheting or knitting or cross stitching. I always thought it was neat, but it never occurred to me to ask her about it. And, she never volunteered any information. So, I have decided that I am going to be proactive. I don't know if it's the Holidays coming up, or if it's my feeling a little "domestic" in my "old age", but I think I am going to learn how to crochet AND knit and teach it to Willow, if she would like to learn.

I am not a stay-at-home mom. I know they have less time than I do to do fantastic things like sewing and quilting and knitting, yet somehow they manage to make time for it. And I have to say that I am constantly impressed by it all. I read about friends' "projects" and I am secretly jealous that I am not "crafty". Is that silly? Maybe, but I don't care.

While many of us "modern" mothers work, I think we can still find the time to teach our daughters traditional things like needlework and sewing if we put our minds to it. I'll have to dig out the book on crocheting that I am pretty sure I have and keep you updated on future projects.

blog comments powered by Disqus